Sunday, March 13, 2011

Halfway There-My Advice

I am officially halfway to my goal...WOW and it feels so good! Now I know that this is where I have to kick it into high gear because I was at a plateau for about a month gaining and losing the same 2lbs until yesterday! I decided to take in more calories and switch up my workout...I just started TurboFire and am still doing Zumba 3x a week. I will get into what TurboFire is in another post but in hitting my halfway mark, I have learned the following:

1) Be honest with yourself- I had to be honest...when I hit 253lbs last May, I had to keep it real with myself no matter how much it hurt. I had to look at myself and say, "Krystle you are obese! You may be funny and a good person...but it doesn't change the fact that you are slowly killing yourself.

2) Had to have an "AHA" moment-Everyone says this, but you don't realize how true it is until you have yours. I was on an airplane on the way to California and by the skin of my teeth, got into that seat. Now we all know they make them small anyway, but I had to loosen the seatbelt all the way to buckle myself in! So embarrassing. Also, looking at a picture of myself in my under clothes that I had Brandon take in November of 2009....I was mortified to see myself like that.

3) Set a gameplan- I had to think of a plan of action. I knew that I had to change my eating and start exercising. I started off slow, because I knew that if I went all out in the very beginning it would increase the likelihood of me quitting. I did a 30 minute Leslie Sansone walk off the pounds deal and Disco Abs with Cheryl Burke. Also, I tried to make sure I ate breakfast everyday.

4) Don't beat yourself up- This is the hardest thing, because from mid September to January 1st I really wasn't working out, was lax on my eating and all of that. The most important thing about this though was I didn't throw in the towel. I stepped on the scale on January 2nd without having weighed myself in 2 months and had luckily lost 5lbs. I didn't get upset. I just knew that I had work to do...and I was going to do it!

5) Know Your Limits- Now I am a big advocate of not depriving yourself of things you like; however, you have to know where you are in your journey mentally. You have to know that you won't turn a lapse into a relapse. That means if someone offers you a cookie...are you going to eat just one or 10? If you know that you will eat more...then don't eat one AT ALL period! At least not until you are mentally ready for that. This also holds true for putting yourself in an environment where you shouldn't be...going to a party with lots of alcohol and bad food, going out to eat with friends, going on a trip. All of these things can be fun, but if you are not mentally prepared to make smart choices, you can completely sabotage yourself. Its not worth it...trust me.


6) Set mini goals- I knew I had 90 or so pounds to lose, but I had to break it down in increments and then reward myself by reaching these goals by a certain date. Sometimes looking at the big picture is great...but it can be discouraging when you hop on the scale and see a 1lb loss for the week and say, "How in the heck am I ever going to reach 90lbs!!?"

7) Don't look for confirmation- This is huge to me! We all like compliments and motivation...but you will find that there are people who won't give them to you because either they don't know how or they are just jealous. So congratulate and compliment yourself, since it is you who ultimately needs to be happy with yourself.

8) Helping Others- I have found that inspiring other people is what gives me the most motivation to keep going with my own journey. It is great to be a positive and reaffirming voice for others going through the same thing. I know that I'm not in this thing alone.

9)Be realistic- Weight loss is 80/10/10 80% nutrition, 10% exercise and 10% genetics! Don't start out by saying, "I want to look like Kim Kardashian or J-Woww". You may not eat what they eat or have the same genetics that they do. So just say, "I want to be in the best possible health and a healthy weight FOR ME!"

10) Don't Stop- I don't care if you read anything else! This is the most important one. You are going to have weeks where you don't lose or may gain, you may hit a plateau, but DON'T STOP! This is your health we are talking about. I had weeks where I would gain 2lbs and be pissed...but I didn't stop and even at the halfway mark I am not stopping until I get to my goal...period! You can do anything you put your mind to! So do it and give 100% everyday!


I have learned a lot so far and know I will learn so much more in the next several months. This is not a sprint...its a marathon! Keep going and you will be handsomely rewarded! I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment